Vianna Hackett, MCHS Senior, Photographed by Ky Newport
By Alisha Dziennik, Ky Newport, & Kenzi Pendleton
Parents won’t let you dye your hair? That’s no longer a problem! Everyone, at some point in their lives, wants to try some new sort of color: red, blue, green, even rainbow. The new beauty trend has both genders trying new colors!
“I grew out my armpit hair as a challenge,” said Vianna Hackett with a laugh, “but then I realized how confident it made me feel. Being myself and different is one of the most important things to me. Dying [armpit hair] just makes it more personalized. I’m currently going five months strong with my beauties.”
Many tutorials on the dying (coloring) process are of women dying there hair bright colors as a way to to defy the beauty standards set for women. As an alternative, some men are celebrating their clean shaven armpits as to defy another taboo because we all know we’re about defying beauty standards.
There are several blogs showing safe and vegan ways to do this at your home, including spray-on for temporary dying. Though you have to grow out the hair before dying it, it’s also possible to dye the skin. On the down side, it won’t last long.
Now, if you actually are considering trying this, I have the steps to do so according to Women’s Health Mag:
- Bleach the armpit with an applicator brush by yourself or with the help of a friend. The darker the shade of hair, the higher volume of bleach you will need. So, if you have lighter hair, volume 10 bleach would be fine, but if you have medium to dark hair, volume 40 is recommended to get the light shade of blonde.
- Leave the bleach on for about 20 minutes. If you have darker hair, it may take a few more minutes.
- Rinse well and let hair dry.
- Apply a dye ( I would recommend Manic Panic, Arctic fox, or Punky Colour) with an applicator brush and leave on for about 30 minutes for brighter colors.
- When it comes time for touch up, use dying gloves, and put a tiny amount of dye between your fingers and apply to the hair a centimeter away from the skin.
- The first day, you may stain your shirt, but after that, you shouldn’t have any color sweating off.
So next time you want to dye your hair, try you armpit; something a little out of the norm on beauty etiquette.