By Alexus Brock
Dear friends, you’re great and I love you. Sincerely, the girl who is broke but still wants to give you the gifts you deserve this Christmas.
Christmas season is a beautiful season in which you can engulf your taste buds in hot cocoa, decorate the family Christmas tree with a little too many decorations, and have a wallet that is completely and entirely empty. This Christmas season you can give your friends the gifts they deserve without breaking the bank. DIY gifts are always fun as well as very thoughtful and sentimental. Below are gifts that anyone could make at a fraction of the price of a gift you can go purchase from your local department store.
- Scrapbooks– This is the perfect gift for a significant other or just a friend as you can customize it to your liking. Within your scrapbook, you could include photos of you two, movie tickets, favorite song lyrics, or really anything that symbolizes your friendship. You can make this as extensive as you’d like.
- Personalized Mugs– Personalized mugs can be made as cheap as $5.00. All you need is a white mug, a sharpie (or multiple sharpies), and an oven. Make sure the surface of your mug is clean and dry, then draw or write anything you want on the mug. Let the mug dry. After this put in in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, let the mug cool, and you have a personalized Christmas mug!
- Homemade Sugar Scrub– In a small jar you will put equal parts brown sugar and white sugar (ends up being about 1/4 cup each for a 6 oz. jar), fill to the top with olive oil (cover the sugars and then maybe an extra 1/2 inch), and add about 1-2 Tbs of vanilla extract for some yummy flavor. After you’ve done this you will want to mix all ingredients together. Enjoy soft and yummy smelling skin!
- Tee-Shirt Pillows– Start by grabbing a tee shirt you wouldn’t mind sleeping on instead of wearing. Some great ideas may include shirts that represent your school spirit, clubs you’re in, or maybe even a tee shirt from your favorite concert. With fabric chalk, mark about how large you want this pillow to be. Then, mark about 2.5-3 inches around that square. Cut along the larger square. Once you’ve done this, cut strips from the larger square to the smaller one. This should leave you with multiple strips all the way around your “pillowcase.” Next you want to put a pillow the same size inside the case or stuff the case with cotton. After you’ve done this, you’ll tie all the strips in knots to enclose the case. Enjoy your new room decor as well as comfy pillow!
- Candy Photo Frame– Get a shadowbox photo frame and put your friends favorite candy bars in it. In sharpie, expo marker, (really whatever you want) write “In case of emergency, break glass.” It would be a fun and yummy gift for those who procrastinated on their gifts! And hey, saves wrapping the gift too!
Always remember, if you have a Christmas on a budget, you can still have fun and give your friends fun gifts to show them you’re thankful for their friendship. And of course, use this as an excuse to be crafty.