Chilling Accident Us Airport Worker Sucked Into Plane's Engine

Chilling Accident: Us Airport Worker Sucked Into Plane’s Engine

Chilling Accident: Us Airport Worker Sucked Into Plane’s Engine: An American Eagle aircraft engine sucked a ground worker inside it on New Year’s Eve at Montgomery Regional Airport in Alabama, according to a horrific event that was investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

The investigation report offers the first detailed account of how the female ground worker perished when she reportedly got too close to the idling jet engine of an Embraer ERJ-175 regional plane being flown by Envoy Airlines for American Airlines.

The flight from Dallas had been uneventful, and the plane had just touched down in Alabama when the pilots decided to keep the engines running. In this situation, the auxiliary power unit (APU) was broken. Therefore the engines had to continue running until the aircraft was linked to ground power. Usually, the machines could have been shut down earlier.

Must Check:

The pilots informed NTSB investigators that they had chosen to maintain engine operation for two minutes after arriving at the stand to comply with the mandated cool-down period. The ground worker was fatally hurt after ingesting something into the left-hand engine.

Due to the possibility of engine ingestion, this is a particularly hazardous moment for ground personnel. Several safety regulations are in place to keep personnel away from engines until they are entirely shut down.

Investigators have been helped by video surveillance footage that recorded the whole occurrence, in addition to witnessing statements from the pilots and other ground personnel who were there at the time of the accident. Investigators learned from another ramp agent that he observed the deceased ground worker almost trip over the force of the engine exhaust as she walked toward the back of the aircraft.

He tried to tell her to back off, but video surveillance captured the female employee beginning to move toward the left wing tip before she vanished from sight. She reappeared on camera as she approached the left-hand engine when she was dragged off her feet and consumed by the machine by the force of the jet.

The Captain was initially uncertain about what had transpired because the entire episode happened so swiftly. When the airplane “shook violently” and the left engine automatically shut down, he realized something wasn’t right. After leaving the flight deck, the Captain returned to learn that the ground worker had tragically died.

The other crew members informed the NTSB that a joint safety briefing was held only ten minutes before the aircraft touched down at the gate. Just before the jet arrived, they had a second safety “huddle” in which they talked about how the engines would keep running and how nobody should get close to the plane.

Must Check:

This lecture included a directive that ground personnel shouldn’t approach the aircraft with safety cones before the engines have been turned off. The murdered workers appeared to be escorting a safety cone to the back of the plane in the surveillance footage. The upper and lower airplane beacon lights were blinking moments before the catastrophic collision, which is a vital sign that the engines are working.

Four crew members and none of the 59 passengers were hurt in the collision. The plane was out of commission for several days before being put back in service on January 8 and is still flying for American Eagle. The NTSB does not specify when the final report is anticipated to be published.