After the upscale clothing brand’s most recent advertising campaign depicted youngsters embracing teddy bears decked up in bondage gear, Kim Kardashian claims she is “re-evaluating” her partnership with Balenciaga.
The reality TV actress and founder of Skims, who has served as the fashion label’s ambassador, finally spoke out on Sunday after receiving a storm of messages from followers and critics pleading with her to criticize the company.
Kardashian said in comments on her social media that she had delayed speaking out because she wanted a chance to speak with the Balenciaga team to see how this could have happened, “not because I haven’t been horrified and angered by the recent Balenciaga campaigns.”
As a mother, she continued, “the frightening sights” had left her “shaken.” She addressed her 74.2 million Twitter followers on Sunday, “The protection of children must be kept in the highest esteem, and any attempts to normalize child abuse of any type should have no place in our society — period.
- Jay Leno Released From Hospital After Suffering Burns
- Deputies Charged in Shooting Death of Christian Glass
“I appreciate Balenciaga’s apologies and removal of the advertising. After speaking to them, I have faith that they recognize the gravity of the situation and that they will take the necessary steps to ensure that it never occurs again.”
What’s up, you beautiful b-words, I had the honor of appearing on the @PhillyD Show to share my thoughts on Magic: The Gathering, @Hasbro, and the direction of the game! You can watch that episode here: https://t.co/sWZtUXvTnq#magicthegathering #MTG pic.twitter.com/93BriszUfU
— Tolarian Community College (@TolarianCollege) November 28, 2022
One of the numerous prominent people cast in the Balenciaga couture presentation during Paris Fashion Week in July was Kim Kardashian, who made headlines for her identity-obscuring Met Gala 2021 attire. Her participation in the Balenciaga show was highlighted in “The Kardashians'” season finale on Thursday.
She wrote in a follow-up post on Sunday that she was “currently re-evaluating my relationship with the brand” and that she was “basing it off their willingness to accept accountability for something that should have never happened in the first place — & the actions I am expecting to see them take to protect children.”
Kardashian’s statement comes days after the business retracted the contentious campaign, which was a part of a project called “Toy Stories” and was photographed by photographer Gabriele Galimberti, and posted an apology on its Instagram page.
The statement said, “We deeply apologize for any offense our holiday marketing may have caused.”
“In this advertisement, youngsters should not have been shown holding our plush bear backpacks. The campaign was promptly taken off from all sites.”
In a statement on Wednesday, Galimberti claimed that he had no control over the direction or filming of the “Toy Stories” advertising campaign and that he was “not entitled in any way to neither choose (sic) the products, nor the models, nor the combination of the same.”
After a different campaign using records from a United States Supreme Court case connected to child pornography statutes went viral, Balenciaga apologized again on Instagram for exhibiting “unsettling documents.” The business continued by announcing its intention to “take legal action against the parties responsible for developing the set and containing unauthorized products.”
“No link with the photo where a Supreme Court document appears,” Galimberti claimed. In response to the continued backlash from rapper Kanye West’s divisive and anti-Semitic remarks, Balenciaga cut ties with him last month. For more information, has gotten in touch with Kardashian’s agents as well as the parent company of Balenciaga, Kering.