Restraining Order Case Against Ricky Martin Dropped

After the relative abandoned the complaint, a court on Thursday opted not to renew a temporary restraining order Ricky Martin received this month. The nephew “voluntarily desisted” from proceeding in a simulated court proceeding and declared he no longer need the protection order, a court official told NBC News.

According to documents obtained by Telemundo and shared with NBC News, the order, which was due to expire on Thursday, was issued on July 1 under Puerto Rico’s Domestic Violence Prevention and Intervention Law, also known as Act 54, after the nephew claimed he had a romantic relationship with Martin for seven months and now “fears for his safety.”

Read more:

After a court session that was closed to the public and the media since Act 54 proceedings are considered civil and confidential to protect the identity of the person making the allegations, the judge reached the conclusion. According to a court spokeswoman, Martin and his nephew virtually attended the session. Martin was ready to “directly confront the judge at the hearing,” according to his attorney, who said to NBC News on Wednesday. Martin would deny having a love or sexual relationship with his nephew.

The attorney stated that Martin would also refute claims that he stalked and harassed his nephew. The nephew also claimed that Martin called him frequently and “hung around his apartment on at least three occasions” after they “split 2 months ago” in the protection order that was issued this month. One of Martin’s attorneys, Marty Singer, has stated that “the person making this accusation is battling serious mental health issues. Naturally, Ricky Martin has never had, and would never have, a romantic or sexual relationship with his nephew.

One of the singer’s half brothers, Eric Martin, stated this month during a Facebook livestream that the charges were made by a nephew who has “mental health difficulties.” The Puerto Rico police said in a statement on Wednesday that a man had filed a complaint alleging that he had received two threatening phone calls on Tuesday night. While the police identified the complainant, Martin’s nephew, NBC News normally does not name the alleged victims of domestic abuse.

According to a police statement, the man told police that at 9:05 p.m., he took a call with a Canadian area number and heard a man “threaten him with death if he spoke at the hearing.” A man named his street in a subsequent call from a New York number that was placed to him a minute later.

As of Wednesday night, both phones appear to be disconnected. Following the hearing on Thursday, Martin’s attorneys released the following statement: “Just as we had feared, the Court did not renew the temporary protective order. The accuser acknowledged before the court that he made the decision to dismiss the case entirely on his own, free from any outside pressure or influence, and that he was pleased with his legal counsel in the matter.

They continued, “There was never anything more to this than a troubled man making unsubstantiated claims.” “We are pleased that our client received justice and is now able to move on with his life and profession.”

Related Articles

Back to top button