On Thursday, multiple fire departments in the Guadalupe County region responded to a report of a huge fire that had damaged a residence. During the course of their efforts, one of the firefighters was hurt.
Guadalupe County Assistant Fire Marshal Bryce Houlton, a firefighter from Guadalupe County Fire/Rescue needed medical attention after being struck in the head by falling roof debris. “The firefighter was transported by Seguin EMS to Guadalupe Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and later released,” he said.
“He is expected to make a full recovery and be back on duty in the next week or two.” The incident occurred around 3 p.m. on Thursday in the 4600 block of Gravel Pit Road, and the firefighter was one of many who responded to the scene.
“Kingsbury Fire Department and Guadalupe County Fire/Rescue Engine 71 were the first to respond and when they arrived on scene they found smoke coming from the structure and started investigating.”
Looking for more information about the county? we’ve got you covered! View our handpicked selection of articles by clicking on the links below:
- Shelby County Courts are the Subject of Mayor Strickland’s Letter of Complaint
- The Adams County Board Gives an Update on ARPA Funds
- The County of Bernalillo’s Budget is Close to $400 Million
Houlton said the crew discovered flames in the attic but fighting them proved challenging due to the house’s size and design.
“The house is estimated at about 4,400 square feet, plus the unique construction with a clay tower roof, stucco ceiling and walls, the firefighters had a difficult time gaining access to the fire,” he said.
Kingsbury, GCFR, Geronimo, Seguin, Luling, York Creek, Belmont, Martindale, San Marcos, and McQueeney fire departments, along with Luling EMS and San Marcos/Hays County EMS, all pitched in to help the county.
“We wanted enough crews on scene to be able to rotate in and out, plus we had to shuttle water in due to the location of the in the rural area of the county,” Houlton said.
Houlton, another firefighter was checked out for heat exhaustion. The office of the fire marshal is looking into what started the blaze.